Saturday, October 17, 2009

There are so many things going on right now I´m not sure what to write about, so bear with me if you would. First of all, congratualations to Tim and Michelle! Wish I could be there for your big day and I can´t wait to see pictures-videos.

Yesterday I made banana bread (in a cake pan but it WASN´T cake) with Amelia and Raquel and we ate it today during receso from Guarani class.

Last weekend I visited a current PCV named Emily out in the campo and had a wonderful-enlightening time. My Guarani has a long way to go. So do my latrine squatting skills. Also, I learned that only the most chuchi or "fancy" latrines have doors or curtains. I played a lot of futbol and volleyball with the younger girls of the village, which was especially fun because it didn´t involve needing to talk or listen too much. Emily though, is amazing at Guarani...I can only hope to be able to speak and understand it that well someday. She´s also only been in her site for a year at this point, but has undertaken so many projects already. It was really cool to see what her life was like day to day. We also cooked and ate some amazing food, a lot of which was right out of her garden. mmmmmmmm. Oh, and made soy milk and whole'wheat soy empanadas..- delicious! Oh fresh veggies how I missed you.

The stars out in the campo were AMAZING.

It took me nine hours to get to Emily´s site by bus. The last two hours consisted of standing up in a bus going about 15mph down a cratered dirt road. BUT - I got on the bus and the ticket guy knew my name. (Emily had advised him that I would be coming). Not too shabby, huh? I think we were probably only about 100 miles, maybe not even, from Guaramabare (where I live) as the crow flies. It sure makes you appreciate road systems in the U.S.

We are raising baby chicks for our tech training. They are adorable, but I already know that they will soon be super obnoxious and try to peck at my feet in a few weeks (because that is what the chicken at my house do while I´m eating dinner.)

Yesterday was our first Dia de Practica. It´s a morning where we go out into the community in pairs and just try to introduce ourselves to people and see if we can come hang with them at a later date. Mostly, it´s just SUPER AWKWARD. I will expound on this more later...but basically a lot of faltering Guarani and some totally blank stares. Also the classic question¨: do you have a boyfriend?

If NO: that´s ok, we will find you a nice Paraguayan boy who´s guapo (hardworking).

IF YES: that´s ok, we will still find you a nice guapo Paraguayan boy.

Ok, I think that´s enough rambling for now. G-ma, thank you so much for the card! Nicole thank you so much for the letter and seeds! We soaked them last night and planted them this morning...I cant wait til they sprout.

Love and miss you all. Tranquilopa mis amigos!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Amanda! Sounds like everything is going great, and I'm glad to hear you have a nice view of the stars (I'm quite jealous, too, hasn't been good viewing up here). State won again today, they're back up to 4-3 with a big game against Iowa next week. Go Green! Hope things keep going well, and I miss ya!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today we had an assembly for Spanish Heritage Month and since many of my parents/students speak Spanish half the assembly was in Spanish. I thought about you and how you could have translated for me. Because I had no idea what was being said half half time. LOL

    ReplyDelete