Saturday, November 14, 2009

Long Field Practice


Long Field Practice: 5 days, 4 Trainees, 1 Ninja language professor, 1 rockin´PCV, lots of rain, snacktime, naptime, charlatime, soap-making time. One hell of a week.

Sorry, this is going to go in reverse order.

Sunday, I am making American BBQ lunch for my host family in Potrerito. I will be attempting to make some mandioca salad instead of potato. Also, baked beans from scratch?

Wednesday, I find out where my future site is, a.k.a. where I will be living for the next 2 years. WOW.







Me and my reward of a long field well done. A Brownie sundae! Thank heaven for American missionaries who open up ice cream/desert shops on Ruta 2.





















I am very proud of my charla paper here. We played a game to see what goes in an Abonera (Compost Pile) versus a Basurero (Trash Pit). I spoke just in Guarani and it was a hit! if I do say so myself.















Giving my charla (mini presentation) to the womens´comite.



























Charles trying out our homemade shampoo.
























Me, Carlos, and Kyle making shampoo.

























Boo'ya! G-31 in La Pastora!
























Visiting a naranja hai (sour orange) mini-factory. They use the tiny fruit and the leaves to make essence for perfume and other such things in Europe. Oh, and we walked 8k to get here. Then we walked back.























Snacktime!! Yes, that is peanut butter. And yes, we may have also found cream cheese. IN PARAGUAY.




















Beautiful sunset over the kokue (field).




























Rows of tobacco plants.


























My host sister Quihara showing me some traditional Paraguayan dances.






















Carlos and I.






















Neighbor boy on his new horse. We wanted a ride, but his mom wasn´t home. Dang.

5 comments:

  1. The sundae in your pic looks amazing. Life here in Columbus is getting slightly dreadful. We have our first real exam next Monday, so stress is at an all-time high. I am trying to stay busy and keep things in perspective aka law school is not life. Very exciting to find out about your placement. Hope you are doing well, and un abrazo fuerte.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. girl, imma have to jack some dees pics. ¿ajepa?

    ikatupa ajapota petei link, che blogpe. che gusta la ipora pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Amanda, how exciting is been your trip in Paraguay.

    I bet, when i visit you, you would probably be a paraguaian or a guaranee already. rsrs

    stay good,
    Diego

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carlo - jack all you want. ? :) Ndaipori problema!

    Diego - can´t wait for the visit! Paraguay has been great so far. How are you doing?? Tudo bom?

    Kelly - as you one of the most guapa women I know, I know you´ll make it through this slightly dreadful time with flying colors. Un abrazo muy fuerte right back atacha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...found cream cheese in Casa Rica in Asuncion, close to Shopping del Sol. It's one of those things we snag up when we venture into the big city...

    ReplyDelete